Saturday, October 27, 2012

Natural Hair Care Journey - Update

After my initial Big Chop (you can watch the video here, or on YouTube) I went to the barber shop for a shape up. He picked out my hair and shaped it up, and it was even all over. I thought to myself, "This should grow out real nice." Then he handed me the mirror, turned me around so I could see it from all angles using his station mirror and the hand mirror, and I nodded affirmatively that I was satisfied. Then he took the hand mirror and set it down...and in a split second he turned the clippers on and was shaving the side of my head! Ok, he wasn't exactly shaving it, but he was cutting the sides so short that there would be no curl definition once I applied product. I didn't even bother telling him to stop, because at that point, the hair was already gone! I think (No, I KNOW) he misunderstood what I wanted. I think he thought that I intended to wear a fade, even though I told him I wanted it even all over. I went home disgusted, to say the least, but I knew that my hair would grow back… I would just have to wait and make do.

After a few weeks, while I was still patiently waiting for my sides to grow back, I began to notice that the hair on the top of my head and on my crown was growing in at a much faster rate than the hair on the sides and the back of my head. It was starting to look like I had a football-shaped head. You don’t even want to know what that looked like! Ooh! Pardon me - I'm having a serious hot flash! I'll be right back!

I'm back. Whew!

Ok, so having a perceived football-shaped head was unacceptable to me, so I sort of did my own trim and it turned out ok.

My initial hair care regime consisted of Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner for my co-wash, VO5 Herbal Escapes free me fresia for my conditioner, and Eco Styler with Olive Oil (Green Top) for defining my curls. I was happy with the products, but noticed that I could not use either conditioners as leave-in conditioner with the Eo Styler Gel. It justed ended up being a big messy mess. I should have heeded the warnings of others
who have gone before me, but I had to see for myself. Note to self: Do not use either condioners referenced above as leave-in conditions with Eco Styler Gel.

I really liked the way the Suave Naturals worked as a co-wash, and I love the way the Eco Styler Gel defines my curls. The drawback is that the Eco Styler drys to a hard finish, and leaves my hair "crunchy" if you can imagine crunchy hair.

I also tried the Cantu Shea Butter Natural Hair Coconut Curling Cream. HATED IT! Or maybe my hair hated it. It left my hair dry and frizzy, and left a nasty residue. I may try it again when my hair is a little longer. I'll stick with the Eco Styler Gel for now.

Next Stop: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash, TRESemmé Naturals Silicone-Free Nourishing Moisture Conditioner and Eco Styler with Moroccan Argan Oil (Red Top).

The journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment